- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of: biology, chemistry and physics.
- Ensure students are equipped with the scientific skills required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
- Develop students’ ability to transfer their scientific knowledge to questions about the world around them and other areas of study.
- Through this curriculum we hope to instil a love of science that will become a lifelong passion.
Teachers create a positive attitude to learning within their classrooms and have high expectations of all students.
Our whole school approach to the teaching and learning of science involves the following:
- The 5 year AQA curriculum plan covers the key themes in biology, chemistry and physics; this allows progression in scientific skills and knowledge building on KS2 and progressing to KS5.
- Planning involves teachers with excellent subject knowledge creating engaging lessons with high quality resources. Students are encouraged to ask questions and are given opportunities for inquiry-based learning to discover scientific theories for themselves. Teachers use targeted and open questioning to assess students’ understanding. Formative and summative assessments are used to identify areas of strengths and weakness; this data is then used to consolidate and cement students’ understanding.
- An engaging, high-quality science education that provides students with the ability to understand the world around them and the knowledge and skills to continue studying at university or college.
- Students understand that science has changed our lives and that it is vital to the world’s future development and sustainability.
- Students learn about the possible careers in STEM.
Revision guides and workbooks are available to purchase on ParentPay. Students can join a dedicated Google Classroom for revision using the code: tpgylu7.
KS3 Science / A Level Chemistry: Mrs E Parkin
KS4 Science / A Level Biology: Miss R Baker
A Level Physics: Mr T James
BTEC Level 3 Applied Science: Miss J Wright